Subject: Re: BOOTP support (change request)
To: None <gwr@mc.com, cjs@portal.ca>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/21/1997 19:26:42
> >   An interface that is assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 receives all
> >   packets that the underlying h/w interface receives, i.e. those
> >   with the matching h/w address or the h/w broadcast address.
>
> Unfortunately, this means that if you `ifconfig xx0 up' without
> supplying an address (for whatever reason, say because something's
> broken in an rc script somewhere) you're recieving all packets and,
> presumably, trying to deal with them.

While I'm concerned about this, too (there were people here recently that tried
to tcpdump on an interface without receiving any packets on it, remember?),
no, you won't receive all packets under normal circumstances, as the
hardware wouldn't receive the packets.  Only if the interface is set to
promiscuous mode does this become a problem.
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800