Subject: Re: Setting the default port on ethernet cards
To: Eric Varsanyi <ewv@bsdi.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/23/1997 15:02:38
> The only hesitation I have about this is the additional kernel code size
> needed to support this feature for some cards (efsetup has to do
> a fair amount of work to figure out what its talking to and do the
> right thing for all flavors of 3com cards, thats a lot of code that
> gets run once - which is another reason I put it in a user mode
> program).

I agree with this, but i'm not sure that the code really ends up being
that large.

Another concern of mine is that it's possible to end up needing _both_
kernel support (to set media type) and user-land support (to configure
other EEPROM bits, like I/O port addresses, on cards that support
that).

Wasting space in the kernel is annoying, but wasting it in the kernel
when you need a special user-land program anyway is especially
annoying.

chris