Subject: Re: your recent ARP changes...
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Fred L. Templin <templin@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/21/1997 17:38:14
Ignatios,

Thanks for the explanation. As to your proposals, I agree that the right
solution is to leave a bare-bones netinet/if_ether.h file lying around
that has an arpcom struct with just the "struct ifnet ac_if" included,
and includes <net/if_ether.h>. (You may actually need to call it something
else like "net/if_enet.h" to differentiate the two files, and to remove
ambiguity wrt. the historical precedence that has been set.) This would
break all drivers which try to reference ac_enaddr, but would preserve
enough backwards compatibility to be reasonable. So, I think this would
yield an acceptable tradeoff level...

Regards,

Fred
templin@nas.nasa.gov