Subject: Re: your recent ARP changes...
To: None <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/19/1997 13:13:18
Calm down a bit, both (at least) of you.

While I agree totally with Perry's radical approach, I think it should
be possible to create an

oldbsdether.h

with appropriate

- #includes to get the right files
- #defines to backwards translate old calls

protected by #ifdef __NetBSD__, for the time being.

So your effort would be reduced to include that file... at the cost of
reduced reliability of type checking, due to the type casts.

The only real problem is that there isn't any struct arpcom anymore,
and people writing the linklevel address directly to it, or reading it
from there, will fail horribly.

This shouldn't affect non-Ethernet-style device writers, as they won't
be able to really work with a 6-byte linklevel address, anyway...

well, we'll see. I don't have time today.

Regards,
	Ignatios