Subject: Re: can't switch DE500 to 100Mbit
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Matt Thomas <>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/15/1997 18:27:24
>One of the appealing aspects of the BSDI changes is the backward
>compatibility.  Given the if_media kernel support code and suitable
>changes to /sbin/ifconfig, drivers can be upgraded *independently*.

>How realistic is it to get BSDI's user-level and/or kernel support code?

Since it would allow easier porting of drivers to BSDI, I think there's
a very good chance of that.

>Failing that, can we at least get up-to-date docmumentation of the
>BSDI architecture (so that Matt's drivers work cleanly on BSD/OS,
>FreeBSD, and NetBSD) , and co-operate in writing a free version of the
>driver-independent kernel code?

Something things have changed since I originally sent that mail in July.
But I think we'll be able to get up to date documentation if we don't
get source.
Matt Thomas               Internet:
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message