Subject: Re: Localtalk interface design ideas
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/13/1997 19:54:03

> Seems to me that the Z8530 AppleTalk driver can and should be made MI,
> and written to work with the existing zs framework (at least to the
> extent that zsllap or whatever should attact as a child of the zs, and
> should arbitrate access the the zs channel with zstty). That way, all
> Z8530-using ports can use it. Plus a farallon ISA driver would be dead
> simple to write, and would support being used as tty for free.

I agree that it'd be nice to get llap working M.I. (on the machines
which support getting the clocking right), but it's starting to
look like there might be about 3 of them. Maybe fewer as I think about
it, but mac68k/atari/dumb 8530 ISA will all need the same support,
basically doing it all in polled mode as we can't trust interrupts not
to get turned off. Then there's the pmax/alpha(?) where DMA can handle
the transmission. but the link access would probably need to be done
in software (there are a few places where you have to wait for ~
300 uS). Then there's the power mac implimentation. It can do it all
with interrupts & DMA. :-)

Take care,

Bill