Subject: Re: Localtalk interface design ideas
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/13/1997 16:20:02
> Well, you forgot
>>
>> 4) NetBSD platforms with `standard' memory-mapped 8530 chips and drivers,
>>    that *also* have motherboard DMA engines that can feed entire packets
>>    to the 8530, as long as the host CPU isn't also trying to drive the
>>    serial chip.

>Do we have any such beasts??? All of the 8530 drivers I've seen run in
>P-DMA mode. That's why I haven't considered the pmax & alphas.

There's no driver support because there's been no reason to support
the DMA mode until now.  The PCLK runs at 7.3728, which if memory
serves, can support the link speed used by LocalTalk.

If memory serves, cgd argues the scc driver should be taken out
and ^H^H^^H^H disposed of in an ecologically-sound fashion, but
that's another story. I don't see glomming such support into the MI
8530 driver is going to be a win, though.