Subject: Re: DHCP client, integration with ifconfig, etc.
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/09/1997 11:05:53

    Christian> On Sat, 08 Feb 1997 11:13:19 -0500, Michael Richardson
    Christian> <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:
    >> Okay, but there are some applications (e.g. bind) that need to
    >> be notified when addresses change. I do not know if there is
    >> any proposed API for doing this. It would be very nice to have
    >> one... and I think others would adopt whatever we proposed.

    Christian> Wait a second here.  Why are you guys even talking
    Christian> about runtime DHCP IP reconfiguration of a client?

    Christian>    A host should use DHCP to reacquire or verify its IP
    Christian> address and network parameters whenever the local
    Christian> network parameters may have changed; e.g., at system
    Christian> boot time or after a disconnection from the local

  Like, this means, when I take my notebook, in power save mode, from
my lan in my home office, to a lan at work. I don't expect telnet/ssh
connections, to stay up, but my bind may get screwed up. Other daemons
that bind specific addresses may have problems too. (Yes, there are
some reasons to do this)

   :!mcr!:            |  Network security consulting and
   Michael Richardson |      contract programming
 WWW: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.