Subject: RE: DHCP client, integration with ifconfig, etc.
To: 'Ted Lemon'" , "'Rafal Boni' <rkboni@concentric.net>
From: Adam Glass <adamg@microsoft.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/08/1997 14:32:17
How are you going to support NFS diskless operation with a user land
client?

You could put it all in the kernel but I think that's overkill.  I'd put
enough support in the kernel to make the initial request/replies and
interpret only the critical info i.e ip address, subnet mask, etc.  Once
you're booted, your dhcp client could make the same request and parse
anything additional.  You should get back the same info as the kernel did.

Also, may I presume that your DHCP client will run as a daemon or something
or be spawned by ifconfig?

Later,
Adam Glass