Subject: Re: DHCP client, integration with ifconfig, etc.
To: Rafal Boni <rkboni@concentric.net>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/08/1997 09:46:14
I'm in the middle of hacking on a real DHCP client, which is based on
some Linux-specific code contributed by Elliot Poger.  I'm planning to
announce a release sometime next week, assuming that all goes well.
This will be better than duct-tape-and-spit.

I actually would like to propose some kernel changes to support DHCP
clienthood at some point, but I need to think about it a bit first.
The problem is that it should be possible to guarantee that the kernel
stops using an IP address once the lease runs out, and I think this
should be done by having a kernel process or event sitting around
removing addresses when they expire.   Any flames about The Right Way
of doing this would be considered with great interest.

			       _MelloN_