Subject: Re: su(1) group wheel restriction
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/11/1997 01:20:00
ws@kurt.tools.DE (Wolfgang Solfrank) writes:
>> mynhier@cs.utk.EDU (Chad Mynhier) writes:
>> >	What is the difference between adding a user to /etc/su.conf
>> >and adding the user to the wheel group?
>> The former doesn't give that user write access to wheel owned files
>> and directories.

>Huh?  Those users can su, so they can do anything to your system anyway,
>including write to wheel owned files.

You've got it backwards.  If you put a user in group wheel she gets
write access to wheel owned files and directories whether she knows
the root password or not.  You don't have that problem with
/etc/su.conf (or /etc/susers as it's named on my systems).

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.