Subject: Re: su(1) group wheel restriction
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/11/1997 01:20:00 (Wolfgang Solfrank) writes:
>> mynhier@cs.utk.EDU (Chad Mynhier) writes:
>> >	What is the difference between adding a user to /etc/su.conf
>> >and adding the user to the wheel group?
>> The former doesn't give that user write access to wheel owned files
>> and directories.

>Huh?  Those users can su, so they can do anything to your system anyway,
>including write to wheel owned files.

You've got it backwards.  If you put a user in group wheel she gets
write access to wheel owned files and directories whether she knows
the root password or not.  You don't have that problem with
/etc/su.conf (or /etc/susers as it's named on my systems).

Christoph Badura

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.