Subject: DHCP client for NetBSD?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/25/1996 13:04:49
Does anyone out there have, or is willing to admit working on, a
"real" DHCP client for NetBSD?  I have two candidate uses (both the
obvious wandering laptop, and as a client of CATV-based networks --
continental cablevision's IP-over-CATV system apparently requires the
use of DHCP by its customers).

I am aware of a linux "dhcpcd-0.4" package but it appears to be
GPL'ed.  This is not a total disqualification for my purposes, but I'd
rather have something with a BSD license.

A related issue:

Dynamically changing the host address will have little impact on many
programs, but some long-running client software may keep addresses for
extended periods of time.  It would be nice to have a mechanism to
warn long-running apps that the host address set is changing.

The routing socket (PF_ROUTE) seems to be one way of doing this, but
may be too big a hammer in some cases..

					- Bill