Subject: Re: The future of ATM
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Rommel P. Feria <rferia@elisa.engg.upd.edu.ph>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/12/1996 06:23:33
Hello there!

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Part of ATM's "end-to-end" solution is its notion of Quality of Service.
> I think ATM is going to have a run for its money when RSVP is available
> on IP routers (are any vendors shipping this yet?).  And, for the
> end-to-end problem, I can see Hippi or fast Ethernets connecting to an
> RSVP-savvy router, which maps the RSVP parameters to QoS parameters
> when the connection is established across the ATM WAN.
> Well, I should probably quit now for ATM bashing on an ATM list :-)

I am no authority on this one but I think the best way to look at ATM at
the moment is what it can provide - that of transport for all types of
media. All these types of networking technology can deliver a whole bunch
of services but will the telco's be confident enough to use it as their
native backbone?

Cheers!

--o00o--
Rommel Palma Feria                         http://www.upd.edu.ph/~rferia
Email Address: rferia@cs.engg.upd.edu.ph         ^..^
               rferia@pptn.org                  ( oo )  )~
               rferia@erika.upd.edu.ph            ,,  ,,
               ew042@cleveland.freenet.edu
SnailMail:     Department of Computer Science, University of the Philippines
               Diliman, Quezon City  1101 Philippines
Tel. No.:      (632) 434-3639
--o00o--
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house...