Subject: Re: proposal on /etc/rc rework
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/02/1996 03:08:00
Michael Graff writes:
>The way irix does this is to have an /etc/config/foo along with the
>scripts.  All the /etc/init.d/foo specific variables are in the config
>file, not in /etc/rc.conf.  This makes tracking config files easier for
>some.

Acutally, IRIX does it the following way:

/etc/config/foo contains either "on" or "off" depending if the
foo-service should be started or not.  The options go into
/etc/config/foo.options.  There's also the chkconfig program that can
be used to turn services on or off and to query the status of the
services.  The init.d/* scripts generally use chkconfig to decide
whether to start a particular services or not.

This is really nice.

>I'm undecided yet, but I think the first cut will be to use /etc/rc.conf  :)

Actually, I'd vote for the IRIX way.  It's easy to implement (yes,
that's an offer to do so).  And, more importantly, having to hack a
monolithic /etc/rc.conf from a package installation script isn't
fundamentally different from having to hack a monolithic /etc/rc
script.
--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.