Subject: Re: Changing addresses on ppp interface
To: Chris G Demetriou <>
From: Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/20/1996 02:06:00
#define quoting(Chris G Demetriou)
// > 2. Change the remote address on the ppp interface to the new value,
// > and if we created a default route via the old address, delete it and
// > replace it with a default route via the new address.  How would this
// > affect existing connections?  Does the network code cache for each
// > connection such information as the gateway IP address to use when
// > sending packets?  Would this get updated quickly and correctly?

Wow !!!  :)

// So, it's worth noting that on my current-running demand-dialed ppp
// connection, the routing table says that he default route is via the
// _local_ address of the PPP connection...

Doesn't this mean that the local address cannot anymore be a generic
one ?  Borrowed from another interface, for example...

If not, how does the system know from which interface to send the packet ?

Joao Carlos Mendes Luis
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )
Network Manager				UFRJ/COPPE/CISI
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro