Subject: Re: User-level ARP handling
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@scofflaw.coordinate.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/03/1996 19:15:39
In message <199609012359.TAA18362@jekyll.piermont.com>, you write:

[...Jason's comments trimmed...]

-> I don't know, but ARP has always felt fine to me just where it is.
->
-> The thing that bothers me about it is that the whole thing feels like
-> a large project that doesn't buy much, especially in the light of the
-> fact that IPv6 totally deprecates ARPs functionality so it isn't
-> likely people will need new ARP stype protocols forever.

	I agree that it does sound like quite a bit of work, but I think if
	IPv6 gets to the point where ARP can disappear, this is a good move,
	as that code is no longer cluttering the kernel... The only action
	needed on the users' part is removing the ARPd from the rc files
	and they're ARP-less...

-> Also, maybe we ought to discuss this with some of the BSDI and/or
-> FreeBSD people and get more feedback -- it would be nice to be able to
-> continue to share networking code, after all...

	This is probably a good idea... I think Charles had CC'd the BSDi folks
	at the least in his original message...

My $0.01...
--rafal