Subject: Re: ifaliases
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/21/1996 12:17:32
#define quoting(Jason Thorpe)
// Another way to improve the performance of the address list is to use
// the notion of temporal locality to dynamically re-sort the list.  It
// was observed by a co-worker here at the NAS facility (while he was
// busy working on a tcp connection tracing and modeling tool) that
// if you recieve a packet associated with a given connection, chances
// are that you are very likely to see another packet associated with
// that connection within a short period of time.

This has already been pointed at by Van Jacobson at the "An Analysis of
the TCP Processing Overhead".  To enhance performance of TCP connections,
he has created a TCB cache of 1 TCB based on this assumption, and got
cache hits of near (I'm not sure about the number) 90%.

The article said it has been implemented in the BSD system, together with
a hash TCB list.  I haven't yet read this chaper on the "Red Book", though.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@cisi.coppe.ufrj.br