Subject: Re: Implementing interface media type autodetection?
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/09/1996 12:16:13
[ On Sat, June  8, 1996 at 20:00:07 (-0400), Chris G. Demetriou wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Implementing interface media type autodetection?
>
> I think that a better option would be similar to what Matt Thomas (i
> think it was him, anyway 8-) suggested, i.e. move the media type
> completely out of the 'link' flags.

Ah, yes, that was the other discussion!

> Translated into 'ifconfig', that could be:
>
> 	ifconfig if0 media auto
> 	ifconfig if0
>
> (ifconfig could print out the media type when displaying info for the
> interface.)

This is indeed much more self explanitory!

> Drivers which do autodetect could do it and set the appropriate value
> at startup, and could be 'kicked' into doing it again later.

And this is the critical part....

> Use of the link flags for media type is ... unintuitive at best.

absolutely agreed!

> If you're going to suggest adding an ioctl and go to the trouble of
> implementing that, I think that doing general media types in the way
> outlined above is a much better use of effort.

I'll vote in favour, but unfortunately won't be able to help make it so
other than in testing....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>