Subject: ifconfig or ??
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/26/1996 18:44:32
My 21040/21041/21140/21140A/21142/... driver is reaching a limitation of
the current ifconfig interface.

A de device can be any one of 10baset, bnc, aui, 100basetx, 100baset4,
100baset2.  For any of the *baset*, add full duplex support.

That is a lot of variation and ifconfig's link0, link1, link2 is just
not enough anymore.

ifconfig de0 media 10baset

would be nice.  So would having flags for full-duplex and other things.
(disabling autonegotiation, etc.)

Also, being able to the dot3 mib counters would be benificial.  It beats
writing messages to /dev/console.

The question is where do these go.

One could expand ifconfig.  One could also put these thing under sysctl.
Both have advantages and I don't have much of preference.

Comments?
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message