Subject: Re: critical networking problem
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@ensta.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/29/1996 10:09:01
Perry E. Metzger said:

> I have noticed that I can reproducably kill tcp connections by sending
> whole ethernet blocks of zeros down them. For example, if I try to
> upload via FTP the file created by the command
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=kill2 count=5
>
> the connection dies, each and every time.
>
> This may have something to do with my ethernet driver (le0 on pci on
> i386) or it may be systemic -- I can't tell. I first noticed this bug
> a long time ago but it seemed to go away -- now its back. I've tried
> many, many different destination hosts and it makes no difference.

I tried this between pentium with a ne2000 and a sparc/SunOS4.1.3_U1,
two pentiums/ne2000 both running NetBSD, a decstation 5000 running
NetBSD and a sparc running SunOS 4.1.4, and a decstation 5000 and a sparc
both running NetBSD. I wasn't able to reproduce the bug.
All my netbsd boxes are running -current.

--
Manuel Bouyer, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Techniques Avancees, Paris
email: bouyer@ensta.fr