Subject: Re: NewbieQ: NetBSD and drivers
To: Anders Eriksson <aer@lulea.trab.se>
From: Michael Hinz <michael@nfh.uit.no>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/19/1996 09:39:50
I think we just experienced a "notation collision":

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Anders Eriksson wrote:
> In message <199601181456.HAA06019@lager.beer.org> you write:
> > "Michael Graff" <explorer@flame.org>  wrote:
> >  > I can reach about 7.9Mbps over a link with only two computers on it.
> >  > This is better than SGI Indys can do.  They only get about 7.3Mbps  ;)
These are of course MegaBITs per second.

> > sure I'd be able to get more than 400kbps... After some tweaking and
> > thoughts from Charles/Chris/Theo, I finally got the transfer rate
> > up to 1010kbps... I didn't think I was going to get much above that so
On the other hand, these must be kiloBYTES per second.

> Excuse me if I've got this wrong, but Graff has got around 8 megabits/sec
> and you're happy with 1 megabit/sec?! Fill me in....
And here's the guy who noticed it :)

What Herb should have written is of course kBps, note the capital B to
say "byte" instead of "bit".

1000kBps is about the same as 8Mbps - so they were actually talking about
the same range of performance...

> /A
Michael
--