Subject: Virtual Server
To: None <linux-m68k@phil.uni-sb.de>
From: Explorer <asx@ccnet.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/07/1996 17:00:47
I have a project that involves automatic (alternate) server activation,
ie., if MYServer goes down, then its name is taken up by AltServer
(continually checking MYServer's status.)

I have accomplished this task for PCs but would like to know how to do it
for UNIX.

Also, how can I configure linux to support virtual server?  I would like
to have ACME.org and SMAKME.org be on one machine but behave as if they
were individual machines.  So I would ftp to ACME.org and SMAKME.org
which would have their own directories.

I know I can do aliasing on the names, but that would require me to
include some path, ACME.org/acme/ and SMAKME.org/smakme/ -- kinda defeats
the purpose.  Moreover, aliasing rears by machine name and not the
assigned name.

If you can atleast point me at sources, I would be greatful.

Thanks!
asx@ccnet.com