Subject: Re: Hard links -> symlink
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/19/1995 19:53:00
Greg Hudson wrote:
>I'd like to question the rationale, "I don't spread my installs across
>multiple disks because that would be impossible to maintain."  I don't
>split my installs across multiple disks either, but the real question
>is, "is it reasonable for NetBSD to break if any two directories with
>links between them are on different partitions?"

Yes, I do think that is reasonable.  Especially when the solution for
an oddball case would cause a major performance hit for the majority
of systems.  As in this case.

>> If you really want to avoid trouble with links, you shouldn't use
>> them at all, IMHO - just install two copies of the file.

>If you and cgd honestly think this is a better answer, I can cause
>LINKS to do this instead, but I get the feeling it's a red herring.

I don't mind if you make the behaviour of LINKS configurable to
support such oddball configuration.  I would mind if it were changed
to create symlinks or copies by default.

Please make that a configuration option in the make libraries, so we
can have the best of both worlds.

--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org		Wk +49 228 97024-36

Es genuegt nicht, keine Gedanken zu haben;
man muss auch unfaehig sein, sie auszudruecken.  - Karl Kraus