Subject: PPP problems
To: Paul Mackerras <Paul.Mackerras@cs.anu.edu.au>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/23/1995 20:25:42
Paul Mackerras writes late last year:
>You use PPP on NetBSD on a 386, don't you?  Would you be interested
>in trying out the alpha release of 2.2?  Compared to 2.1.2, it has

Remember me?  I used to be at iastate.edu.  We were trying to hash out
some PPP crash problems on NetBSD late last summer/fall (in US terms
;-).

Anyway, I'm not there anymore.  I get my Internet access now through a
provider who uses dial-in routers.  They might be Livingston
Portmasters, or something like that, but I'm not sure.

I'm still running NetBSD-1.0, with its included PPP-2.1.1.  I've been
having a problem with my provider in that many times when I have
moderate to heavy traffic coming through where there is more than one
connection generating simultaneous traffic (like two different TCP
connections), my connection will hang.  I can ping, and the TX light
on my modem flashes, but nothing ever comes back.

Its like the two ends get out of sync somehow, and the remote PPP
server is waiting for something I'm not sending.  I've tried turning
off every form of header compression, with no luck.  The line stays
fairly stable if I only have heavy traffic of one type at any single
point in time.

Is this anything you've heard of?  Know of any kind of fix?

I looked at the FTP site you were putting things on, and the last
2.2.0 alpha I saw was dated mid-December.  Are you still working on
such a beast?

Any help or clues would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

				--Michael

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4, PC532,
                           DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), DEC/AXP (Alpha)
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX and others...