Subject: Re: Batch Telnet (Re: diskless and 3Com 509)
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
From: Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/17/1995 19:50:27
The interesting thing is that the System V telnet client doesn't seem to be
doing the same thing. If it's doing a "half close" how is the close getting
propogated to the other end if TCP/IP doesn't implement it? Since the other
end in the case of nntpd or other plain TCP servers isn't implementing the
full telnet protocol it doesn't seem like it could be using some obscure
telnet option to get this effect.

> The telnet client should at least have an option to not shut down if
> it gets EOF from stdin.  It's not clear to me whether or not that
> should be the default.

I'm leary of making it the default, because otherwise you get the classic
infinite loop on EOF problem too easily.