Subject: Driver age...
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@imsi.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/05/1995 20:28:51
Hey;

I've been poking a bunch around the networking code, and a couple of
things popped up...

I noticed while comparing some 4.4lite driver code and some current
driver code that it appears that a bunch of the network drivers in
current are older than 4.4lite -- in particular, I noticed that some
of them date from before tools like m_devget and do things like
copying the packets into mbufs on their own. I ran into this while
going through the section of the new Steven's book on TCP/IP, which
walks through the hp300 ethernet driver -- it was rather obvious (in
seconds!) that the drivers in netbsd weren't the same. I thought
everything had been upgraded to the new world order a while back --
was I wrong?

BTW, I noted that the if_ethersubr.c from NetBSD has much neater tests
for things like broadcasthood and multicasthood -- but that it also
seems to assume that the ethertype was not ntohs'ed in the driver; why
the change? Also, in the brand new rarp support, why doesn't the
kernel put immediately when it hits revarpinput and there is no rarp
request in progress? I know its kind of neat to support the "arp
request in rarp packet" stuff, but no one actually ever sends such
requests. (Indeed, why kernel rarp support in the first place?...)

Perry