tech-misc archive

Re: argument names in function declarations

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 02:26:17PM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> Does using leading underscores in the names help with the cpp issue?

Not really.  Particularly idiotic code and compilers can end up treating
the prototype-with-argument-names as a function declaration and then
imploding much later, at link or dynamic load time.  I was shocked the
first time I saw this, don't know if the standard actually allows it,
but have always assumed it's why we don't put argument names into our
header file prototypes.

Thor Lancelot Simon
    "Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX
     prompt only to realize too late that they have removed the wrong
     segment of the directory structure." - Microsoft WSS whitepaper