tech-misc archive

Re: how to use 5T RAID disk with NetBSD

cngo%nmsu.edu@localhost wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you explain this in details
> > You can use wedges which aren't that well documented. Alternatively, you
> > can always cheat and just format the raw partition (d on x86), e.g.
> > /dev/rsd1d. This will bypass disklabel entirely.
> >
> How can I cheat the disklabel.
>
> The disklabel gives wrong total sectors:
>
> ***********
> quercus# disklabel sd2
> # /dev/rsd2d:
> type: SCSI
> disk: A16U-G2421
> label: fictitious
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 255
> tracks/cylinder: 255
> sectors/cylinder: 65025
> cylinders: 168126
> total sectors: 2342498304
> rpm: 5411
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0           # microseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
> drivedata: 0
> *********
>
> It should be 65025*168126=10932393150 (which is a correct number) instead
> of 2342498304. How can I fix this ? I've tried to change the total sectors
> to the correct one but disklabel gives me the error message "invalid total
> sectors". Any help in fixing this would be appreciated.

You need to ignore the disklabel completely - it can only represent 2^32
sectors.

Can you try something like:

        newfs -s 2342498304 <other-newfs-params> /dev/rsd2d

Here you're saying "I know the disk is this big, ignore the label."

You might need the -I parameter too (see the manpage).

Stephen also suggested using wedges - I've not used them myself, but
they should work for this too since they can 2^64 sectors.  Also as
Stephen said, doco is a bit lacking for them :/

Cheers,
Simon.