tech-misc archive

why not have rcvars for all rc.d scripts? -- and downinterfaces and bootconf.sh not complete rc.d scripts

(I am currently writing a chapter about the NetBSD startup and rc.d
configurations...)

1) Why not have rcvars for all rc.d scripts?

Several scripts can't be disabled (i.e. they don't have any rcvar to
enable): bootconf.sh, downinterfaces, fsck, local, mountall,
mountcritlocal, mountcritremote, network, ppp, pwcheck, raidframeparity,
root, securelevel, staticroute, swap1, swap2, sysdb (on older systems),
sysctl, and ttys.

If I am overlooking something about that please let me know.

Should we consider offering an rcvar and setting to YES for all or some of
these?

What were the arguments against this?

2) downinterfaces and bootconf.sh not complete rc.d scripts

I noticed that bootconf.sh and downinterfaces aren't real rc.d scripts.
bootconf.sh doesn't use rc.subr and downinterfaces only uses rc.subr when
ran with the "stop" argument.

Is that okay?

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. And why does ttys have a different name (ttyflags)?