Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch/x86/x86
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 12/12/2007 18:30:27
Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org> writes:
>> I've noticed that Luke is churning a bunch of the kernel with
>> __KERNEL_RCSID changes, which are apparently not causing enough
>> trouble to make any of the branch owners complain.
>
> The difference, AIUI, is that the rcsids are actually useful for
> something.

Being able to other compilers on the tree is also useful for
something. We've got lots of gccisms around that aren't serving any
purpose -- the idea is to get rid of them so that any C99 compiler
will work. __FUNCTION__ is one of several things I was going to get
rid of. The next step (as requested by Christos) was to get rid of the
unwrapped use of __attribute__ etc. -- you cut that out of my message,
I'll note, as well as my mention of *why* this is wanted.

Perry