Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch/x86/x86
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 12/12/2007 17:53:42
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
> matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:
>>    Is there any good reason not to just change it to __func__ in all of
>>    these? If not, I'll just do it.
>>
>> code churn while many branches are in the process of being merged.
>>
>> please don't do this.
>
> When do you think a better time would be? (The diffs are trivial,
> btw.)

Hi there;

I've noticed that Luke is churning a bunch of the kernel with
__KERNEL_RCSID changes, which are apparently not causing enough
trouble to make any of the branch owners complain.

I'm therefore going to assume (unless someone can explain why the
__FUNCTION__ change is significantly different) that we can trust in
CVS to merge the changes properly and there isn't really a good reason
not to fix the non-ANSI __FUNCTION__ stuff on the head. I'll also do a
second pass to get rid of __attribute__ stuff that isn't hidden
beneath the pre-defined header file wrappers. The net of both of these
will be to make using alternative compilers (like pcc) work a lot
better, which is the central motivation here.

Comments?

Perry