Subject: CVS tag expansion problem (appears on cvsweb as well)
To: None <>
From: Jeremie Le Hen <>
List: tech-misc
Date: 10/20/2007 16:17:53
Hi list,

Please Cc: me when replying.

I've upgraded my source tree to the latest netbsd-4.

% octobrebsd:~# cd /usr/src
% octobrebsd:src# cvs status etc/rc.d/bootparams
% ===================================================================
% File: bootparams        Status: Up-to-date
%    Working revision:    1.7     Fri Aug 13 18:08:03 2004
%    Repository revision: 1.7     /space/netbsd-cvs/src/etc/rc.d/bootparams,v
%    Sticky Tag:          netbsd-4 (branch: 1.7.10)
%    Sticky Date:         (none)
%    Sticky Options:      (none)
% octobrebsd:src# grep '\$NetBSD' etc/rc.d/bootparams
% $NetBSD: bootparams,v 1.6 2002/03/22 04:33:58 thorpej Exp $

Hey, what's happening here?  Therefore I decided to check cvsweb to see
whether it was only a matter of tag or not.  Astonishingly albeit the
file contains the change of revision 1.7 by mycroft, the tag is expanded
to rev 1.6.

While I was here, I saw a similar problem in cvsweb.  When looking at
the revision 1.7 of the file, the tag is correct:

But annotating it exhibits the same problem as described above:

My guess is that cvsweb uses cvs(1) for annotation while it parses the
RCS file directly when showing a revision.  So, is there a bug in cvs?

Best regards,
Jeremie Le Hen