Subject: Re: NetBSD file system chat
To: None <tech-misc@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-misc
Date: 07/13/2005 12:04:34
In article <42D41345.9050809@iinet.net.au>,
	James Buchanan <jamesb.au@iinet.net.au> writes:
> Would anyone like to join in a discussion on implementing a new file
> system for NetBSD with huge file system support (> 3TB) and journaling?
>   I know soft updates on BSD systems do work like journaling, but I'm
> not knowledgeable enough to say if one or the other is superior under
> certain circumstances.

Soft dependences are a performance kludge in UFS which allows it to
work more asynchronously without risking data integrity. They don't
provide the protection against unclean system shutdown that a
journaling file system does.

> Can a new file system somehow be implemented in userland first before
> adding it into a kernel?

Yes, it can. Userland programs can present itself to the kernel as
a NFS server. amd(8) and "pkgsrc/net/sharity-light" use such an
approach.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/