Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code: syspkg
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
From: Volker A. Brandt <vab@bb-c.de>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/06/2005 17:24:20
Hello Mike, hello *,

> Seems during this summer it is a time to resurrect syspkg. I'm glad to
> see the NetBSD releases in syspkg form.

Indeed it would be very good if finally something happened in this
area.

> Does anybody working on it?

I don't think so, although I would be glad to be proven wrong. :-)

> Is
> it worth for Google's program?

Not really.  The unfortunate misdesign of pkgsrc with respect to
system packages has shown that a good design needs careful deliberation
and a reasonable amount of discussion, especially when considering
integration with pkgsrc.  We don't want two pkg_add commands, etc.

What's more, we want hands-off automatic installation of NetBSD
systems using a predefined set of system packages.  While this is
a second step, it should also be considered in the design.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt                  Consulting and Support for Sun Solaris
Brandt & Brandt Computer GmbH              WWW: http://www.bb-c.de/~vab/
Meckenheim, Germany                                   Email: vab@bb-c.de