Subject: Re: Help: make release, just for sysinst changes
To: James Buchanan <buchanan@iinet.net.au>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 08/26/2004 19:35:13
On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 03:58:42PM +1000, James Buchanan wrote:
> [To tech-install and tech-misc...]
>
> I'd like to `make release` but at the moment I'm only working on
> sysinst, and `make release` takes forever!  I don't want to bootstrap a
> toolchain, nor build dist sets or anything.  I've looked at simply
> saying "no" to MK...xxx (nearly all), and setting MACHINE and
> MACHINE_TYPE, hoping that only an i386 install will be made (just i386
> custom kernel, sysinst and friends, barest essentials for testing a new
> CD image with changes to sysinst.)  Also I've not put the usr ...
> usr.bin etc dirs there, but build.sh didn't like all my omissions...
>
> Can anyone help me with this?  I want to use the currently installed
> toolchain (TOOLCHAIN_MISSING=YES)?? and build just my custom i386
> kernel, with my new sysinst so I can test it grabbing dist sets over my
> DSL connection.

To build the kernel you just need to run config and make by hand.  e.g.
	cd /path/to/your/kernel/config && config KERNELCONFIG
	cd /path/to/kernel/build/directory && make depend all

For sysinst you can just go into the sysinst directory and run:
	make USETOOLS=no obj dependall

I don't know what the steps are to take these and create an actual
bootable image though.  Look around in /usr/src/distrib/i386.

eric