Subject: Help: make release, just for sysinst changes
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Buchanan <>
List: tech-misc
Date: 08/26/2004 15:58:42
[To tech-install and tech-misc...]

I'd like to `make release` but at the moment I'm only working on
sysinst, and `make release` takes forever!  I don't want to bootstrap a
toolchain, nor build dist sets or anything.  I've looked at simply
saying "no" to (nearly all), and setting MACHINE and
MACHINE_TYPE, hoping that only an i386 install will be made (just i386
custom kernel, sysinst and friends, barest essentials for testing a new
CD image with changes to sysinst.)  Also I've not put the usr ...
usr.bin etc dirs there, but didn't like all my omissions...

Can anyone help me with this?  I want to use the currently installed
toolchain (TOOLCHAIN_MISSING=YES)?? and build just my custom i386
kernel, with my new sysinst so I can test it grabbing dist sets over my
DSL connection.

Also, I am confused at the message " must be run from the top
level source directory."  (I thought I was in the top level.  I unpacked
src.tgz and syssrc.tgz to /usr/src, and cd'd into /usr/src.)

Thanks very much, I'm not getting anywhere here!