Subject: DELAY performance...
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Sandbrook <josh@petrieelectronics.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 08/15/2004 04:38:40
Hello...

Im writing a driver for an LCD ( HD44780 ) which is wired to the printer
port. Im having performance issues when throwing lots of data to it.. and I
think it is because of the DELAY function.

With each byte I send out the printer port to the lcd, I need to call
DELAY() about 4 times, with about a 1100 usec delay in total. When I send
many megs to the lcd, I find that the rest of the system gets very bogged
down...

AFAIK, DELAY halts the kernel from doing other things (except for handling
interrupts). I am guessing that is what is causing most of the system
slowdown..

So, can anyone suggest a nicer way for me to delay ( even if it is not as
accurate )?

Thanks