Subject: re: Managing MI entries in our GENERIC-like files
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/26/2004 16:32:55
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, matthew green wrote:

>       atari currently uses cpp, amiga uses m4. I'm inclined at this
>       point to go with cpp as it ends up being more legible, plus
>       more people are likely to grok it at first glance. My only
>       reservation is that # is a comment in config files...
>
> please no.  use m4 not cpp.

 	Unfortunately both m4 and cpp lose for what we're trying to do :(
 	I'll concede that cpp loses more :)

>    	We could do something like like having a GENERIC.in with
>
>    	m4_define(`bus_pci', 1)dnl
>    	m4_define(`bus_usb', 1)dnl
> 	[ ... ]
>
> i'd rather someone completed the "no foo" support in config(8) that
> currently works for only options(?).

 	I think a complication is there are two issues:
 	a) Managing common data between different arch GENERIC configs
 	b) Selectively disabling devices and options

 	Apart from possibly looking at INSTALL I'll agree that punting
 	on b) is the right course for what I'm looking at.

--
 		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --