Subject: Re: Managing MI entries in our GENERIC-like files
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/26/2004 13:45:35
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, David Brownlee wrote:
>>  	so that would be option 2 - have a GENERIC.in which creates
>>  	a GENERIC, both of which are checked in? Or just an option to
>>  	config which resolves all includes and spits out the result
>>  	(I'm prefer not the latter :)
>
> Metoo.
> We keep e.g. the pcidevs list as input file, but also commit the generated
> files for it that can then be processed (by the C compiler).
>
> Doing the same thing for kernel config seems sane to me:
> Keep GENERIC.in parts in various places, and when one changes, have a
> mechanism to automatically update (and commit) all the
> sys/arch/*/conf/GENERIC (etc.!) files.

 	Definitely.

> I don't care very much if the implementation uses cpp, m4 or whatever.
> Having something like "no mca" or "no sound" etc. in my config file would
> make things nice for me too.

 	atari currently uses cpp, amiga uses m4. I'm inclined at this
 	point to go with cpp as it ends up being more legible, plus
 	more people are likely to grok it at first glance. My only
 	reservation is that # is a comment in config files...
--
 		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --