Subject: Re: Managing MI entries in our GENERIC-like files
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/26/2004 11:59:30
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, David Brownlee wrote:

> > Having something that spits out a full config file (w/ no includes) that
> > can then be edited would be nice.
>
>  	so that would be option 2 - have a GENERIC.in which creates
>  	a GENERIC, both of which are checked in? Or just an option to
>  	config which resolves all includes and spits out the result
>  	(I'm prefer not the latter :)

While we're here, I'd quite like to see something a bit more like our
rc.conf, where you can explicitly specify the things you care about, and
leave the rest to defaults.

This would be especially useful if you could say, "no pcmcia", and leave
config to figure out that anything hanging off pcmcia therefore shouldn't
be included.

Ideally I'd like to be able to specify something along the lines of:

# busses not present in the machine
no pcmcia
no cardbus
no scsi
no randomfooblah

# only need driver for one network card
no devices network
rtk* at pci*

# only need driver for one sound card
no devices audio
eap* at pci*
# perhaps audio* at eap* would still be needed here?

This would be much more likely to be upgrade-proof than the existing
scheme of copying GENERIC, editing it and trying to merge in changes.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget