Subject: Re: shlib? shlist?
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-misc
Date: 08/26/2002 10:34:11
> > Are there any equivalents to BSD/OS shlib(8), shlicc(1), mkshlib(8), and
> > shlist(8) under NetBSD?
>
> libtool (well, not really NetBSD specific), ldd.

I guess maybe I should be asking more on bsdi mailing list.

For example under BSD/OS:

$ ls -l /bin/cat
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  2704 Oct  8  2000 /bin/cat

$ ldd /bin/cat
        statically linked

$ shlist /bin/cat
/bin/cat: /shlib/libc_s.4.3.0

$ file /bin/cat
/bin/cat: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, statically
linked (uses shared libs), stripped

Looking in binary I see "/shlib/libc_s.4.2.0"

$ ls -l /shlib/libc_s.4.2.0
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  746273 Oct  8  2000 /shlib/libc_s.4.2.0

The man pages say:

-    Statically linked shared libraries are binary files created by linking
     together all of the objects in a normal archive library, along with a
     jump table and an initialization routine.

- It has nothing to do with dynamic shared libraries, whose names end in `.so'.

- Binaries that link to static shared libraries have an `interpreter' but
     no dynamic linking information.

Just to clarify this again: does our NetBSD ldd and libtool already offer
this?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/