Subject: termproblem?
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Henrysson <blah@linux.nu>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/17/2000 17:59:18
I recently installed NetBSD 1.4.2 on a machine in my home network.
I use Swedish keyboards so I had a look in the NetBSD guide that is linked
at www.netbsd.org. I added this line to my /etc/rc.local

/sbin/wsconstctl -k -w encoding=3Dsv

I guess this is correct, but when I start a telnet session to a
Linux computer the keymap is messed up. When I type the Swedish charcaters
(=E5, =E4 and =F6) e, d and v shows up instead. These are not the only
characters that are incorrect.

If I, for instance, start up BitchX, and try to set EIGHT_BIT_CHARACTERS
to ON, I get a warning message saying: 'Your terminal says it doesn't
support eight bit characters'. (This doesn't work when I'm sitting
'locally' at the Linux machine, either, but the characters show up
correctly in rxvt, at least (they don't in the console, but they represent
the correct characters).

The terminals I'm using are vt100 on both machines. I've tried several
others, but without success.

I don't know if this is a question for this mailing list or not, but does
anyone know how to solve this issue? Maybe it should be in a Linux support
list...