Subject: Re: home grown sources vs. externally maintained
To: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@cosmic.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 03/29/2000 10:11:25
Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:

> Is there any simple way to distinguish between "home grown" sources in
> our source tree and ones which are imported from external maintainers?

Look in doc/3RDPARY (relative to pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current on the ftp
site) for where we get programs from.

> Obviously, everything in gnusrc is external, but things like nvi and
> sendmail are in the src tarball even though they come from the Great
> Outside.
>
> Ideally, what I'd like to do is set things up so that only sources which
> originate from NetBSD get supped from there, and sources that come from
> elsewhere get supped from those elsewheres (or else downloaded periodically
> those places don't do sup).

These programs will usually have some modifications over the virgin
sources, usually fix compile issues with the relatively strict GCC
warnings we use.  If you want to track and build NetBSD from source,
you'll want to get it as a complete package.

Simon.