Subject: Re: init creating mfs /dev automatically
To: None <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-misc
Date: 12/29/1999 17:35:23
[ On , December 29, 1999 at 11:46:53 (-0800), Chris G. Demetriou wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: init creating mfs /dev automatically
>
> It might well make sense to move /dev/MAKEDEV to /etc, as well...

or perhaps into /sbin....

Perhaps it would also make sense to do a redesign/rewrite that would
read a control/config file from /etc too.

I've considered doing this myself several times (almost every time I've
been in the script fixing it or adding anything to it! :-), but I've not
yet dreampt up a nice extensible configuration file format that I liked.

If I were to do this I would probably write it in C too, even though I'm
not sure there's any tremendous advantage to doing so (eliminating shell
scripting issues might be nice, and the potential for more efficiency
is attractive to, so perhaps the combination make it worthwhile).

--
							Greg A. Woods