Subject: Re: 'noatime' bogosity
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/22/1999 09:54:28
Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> Dunno why Andy's still seeing the atimes change, but noatime doesn't
> show up in mount(8) output because the "f_flags" in struct statfs is a
> short, not a long.

> It would seem to be easy to grab one of the f_spare fields to fix
> this..

Yah. This seems like a hack, although I'm not sure I like the
alternative much better (retire that syscall to COMPAT_14, add
another returning a 'fixed' struct statfs). Script below is on my
test system at work, running 1.4. I'll investigate when I get home.

monitor:/ # mount -o noatime /dev/wd0d /export1
monitor:/ # cd export1
monitor:/export1 # ls -lu
total 2
drwxr-xr-x   6 ad     users  512 Jun 22 03:25 3.2-RELEASE
drwxrwxr-x  19 squid  squid  512 Jun 22 03:24 squid
monitor:/export1 # ls squid/
00                        07                        0E
01                        08                        0F
02                        09                        logs
03                        0A                        swap.state
04                        0B
swap.state.last-clean
05                        0C
06                        0D
monitor:/export1 # ls -lu
total 2
drwxr-xr-x   6 ad     users  512 Jun 22 03:25 3.2-RELEASE
drwxrwxr-x  19 squid  squid  512 Jun 22 09:31 squid

- ad