Subject: Re: Enhanced locale support for 1.4
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/21/1999 11:56:37
Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp> writes:
> > > Many FreeBSD users in Japan are not satisfied FreeBSD's locale.
> > > And we (both FreeBSD and NetBSD and OpenBSD users in Japan) are going
> > > to implement new locale library.
> >
> > Do you have any reasonable expectations about when such a thing might
> > be done?
>
> Sorry, currently I'm not sure about the time.
> It depends on our free time to spend.

It's not clear to me that if a group wants to work on and integrated
better locale support, it should be put off for a "to be done
eventually" project.

While you may be building the perfect beast, even you don't know when
you are likely to be done...

However, it's really fairly imporant for the ABIs to be binary
compatible, either for better locale support that might be integrated,
or for whatever you're working on.  If it can't be done by API
compatibility, then it needs to be done via __RENAME hacks, etc.

If you major-number-bump libc, you _really_ need to bump the major
number of _every shared library_ that depends on libc's facilities.
That means pretty much every shared library we ship (including X),
plus the ones in pkgsrc, etc.  That way lies madness.

cgd