Subject: Re: "Minature" NetBSD
To: None <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: tech-misc
Date: 06/07/1999 10:52:08
> > Were you thinking it might be irrelevant through competing standards, or
> > through lack of interest?
>
> Lack of interest, mainly.
>
> How do people remotely admin ciscso, for example?

Most folks I know use telnet with "config term" (either manually
or using e.g. expect) to configure their routers.

However, SNMP can be used for other things than remote
administration, e.g. collecting statistics about traffic level,
error counters etc., and for real-time monitoring of devices.

Following up other messages in this thread:

Free SNMP monitoring tools are available, but I'm not sure I'd call
any of them "good".  (My current personal favourite building block
for building SNMP-based tools is the TCL extension 'scotty'.)

One other wish, though: it'd be really cool if the router could
support a modern routing protocol, since our kernel is capable of
supporting e.g. variable-length subnet masks.  In this respect RIP
does not qualify.  It'd be really cool if it could do e.g. OSPF.
However, as far as I know, free implementations of OSPF are even
harder to come by (nonexistent?) than free and good SNMP monitoring
software.

- H=E5vard