Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-misc
Date: 02/20/1999 20:21:47
Scott Reynolds writes:
> Anyway, back to the primary point.  We frequently have `update libc',
> `update lex', `update rpcgen', and similar one-time prerequisites for a
> build.  I maintain that it's unreasonable to dump every single one of
> these into the top-level build target.  Based on previous experience, I'm
> also convinced that the potential for circular dependencies is pretty
> high.  This problem is exacerbated by the length of time between releases.

Is it worth maintaining a file somewhere (maybe `doc/build-notes')
which contains entries of the form:
	1999/01/04	recompile usr.bin/lex before make build.
	1999/02/15	recompile gnu/usr.bin/texinfo before make build

Detailed instructions on important stuff (e.g, ELF conversion, etc)
could be put here. Users updating from sources should take heed of
the notes dated from their last update.

I know we post this info to current-users, but I'm sure all of us
has missed the occasional `heads-up' post.