Re: PSA: Clock drift and pkgin

On 2023-12-30 22:10, Michael van Elst wrote:
bqt%softjar.se@localhost (Johnny Billquist) writes:

Being able to measure time with high precision is desierable, but we can
already do that without being tickless.

We cannot delay with high precision. You can increase HZ to some degree,
but that comes at a price.

Right. But if you expect high precision on delays and scheduling, then you start also having issues with just random unpredictable delays because of other interrupts, paging, and whatnot. So in the end, your high precision delays and scheduling becomes very imprecise again. So, is there really that much value in that higher resolution?

But of course, this all becomes a question of tradeoffs, preferences and desires. Not sure if we need to have an argument about it. I don't know if anyone is working on a tickless design, or how far it has come. I will certainly not complain if someone does it. But I'm personally not feeling much of a lack that we don't have it.

  Johnny