Re: [RFC] userconf(4) modification

On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 09:41:14AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 05:32:20PM +0100, tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 05:05:53PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> [..]
> > > Something like:
> > >
> > >  uc> drm off
> > >
> > > and then have the drm command use a fixed build-in table of driver names
> > > to disable individual drivers.
> >
> > This is precisely what I dislike: an ad hoc addition with the
> > necessity to be careful about what objects have to be regenerated
> > whenever something is touched or changed.
>
> Well, there are two parts to it:
>
>  1) the user interface: for a user following hints from the internet
>     because their new machine blanks the screen at boot time the command
>     has to be as simple as possible. We may work around that by adding
>     the required magic to the standard boot menu on install media.
>
>  2) the implementation: a very simple and scalable implementation
>     (instead of the static list of known DRI devices, which IMO is not
>     that hard to maintain either) is a global kernel variable like
>     "drm_enabled" and all DRM related drivers checking for that in their
>     probe function.

When booting (boot(8)), there is switches to disable multiprocessor
(-1), ACPI (-2), SVS (-3) and some MD (-4).

Do you mean adding a -5 for example? That is this will have nothing to
do with userconf?

Alternatively, since my proposed syntax and my proposed explanations
failed to find any support, I could go with a simplest (from some
offlist input): do not change the current syntax, but accept a pattern
between slashs '/^?pattern$?/', and a group between braces '{drmkms}',
allowing:

disable {drmkms}
list /^usb/

Note: this will be drmkms and not drm because there is still something
"different": drm, the old drivers.
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/